DATA PRIVACY NOTICE
Middle East Media (MEM)
1. Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”).
2. Who are we?
Middle East Media is the data controller (contact details below). This means it decides how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
3. How do we process your personal data?
Middle East Media complies with its obligations under the “GDPR” by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We use your personal data for the following purposes: -
- To administer supporter records;
- To fundraise and promote the interests of the charity;
- To manage our employees and volunteers;
- To maintain our own accounts and records (including the processing of gift aid applications);
- To inform you of news, events, activities and services from MEM;
4. What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
- Explicit consent of the data subject so that we can keep you informed about news, events, activities and services and keep you informed about MEM.
- Processing is necessary for carrying out legal obligations in relation to Gift Aid or under employment, social security or social protection law, or a collective agreement;
5. Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential and will only be shared with other staff members, or volunteers, in order for them to provide you with information about MEM. We will only share your data with third parties outside of MEM with your consent.
6. How long do we keep your personal data?
We will keep your personal information only for as long as we consider it necessary to carry out each activity. For example, we will retain details of donations to meet tax and accounting requirements (6 years).
Legacies are an important way that many supporters choose to remember the work of MEM in the Middle East. We may keep data you provide indefinitely to carry out the administration of legacies - sometimes we have to prove how long someone has supported MEM and to communicate with the families of those leaving us legacies.
7. Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data: -
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which MEM holds about you;
- The right to request that MEM corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for MEM to retain such data;
- The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to object to the processing of personal data, (where applicable) Only applies where processing is based on legitimate interests (or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority); direct marketing and processing for the purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics.
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office.
8. Further processing
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Protection Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
9. Contact Details
To exercise all relevant rights, queries of complaints please in the first instance contact the MEM Data Protection Officer, Simon Lever at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or by writing to;
Simon Lever (DPO)
Unit 142, 23 King Street