I read the following story recently, and it reminded me very much of the work Middle East Media does:
An old man, teaching his grandson about life, said: “There is a fight going on inside us, between two wolves. One is Evil: he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, lies and ego. The other is Good: he is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, hope and faith."
The grandson asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”
His grandfather simply replied, “The one you feed.”
This story is true for all of us individually, but it made me think particularly of the work that our teams do in the Middle East. In a region where extremist groups such as ISIS are feeding evil by spreading lies, fear and false propaganda, MEM is instead feeding the region with the truth, love, justice, freedom and hope of the Gospel.
As Christmas approaches, would you consider giving prayerfully and generously to MEM’s work in the Middle East? We have had so many reasons to rejoice in 2016, and so much more we can do in the coming year.
In the Gulf, we rejoice for the many people from a Muslim background who are becoming followers of Christ. For 2017, our Gulf team has decided to focus on providing crucial support, discipleship and teaching for these new believers. We would love to add at least two new believers to our Gulf team, to empower them to reach out to their own people using media.
In North Africa, we were greatly encouraged that a major North African publishing house was so impressed with our Nisa’a women’s website, that they asked if they could turn some of our articles into a book! Since completion, this book, comprising 30 of our articles on women’s issues, is now one of the top 20 bestsellers in the country of publication. The North Africa team has so much more planned for 2017, and will be focusing particularly on the Serving Refugees project to provide refugees with vital trauma counseling, gender-based violence awareness programmes and children’s educational curricula.
We are seeking your help to raise £10,000 this Christmas, every penny of which will be sent directly to our teams in the Middle East, to bless them and enable them to continue their wonderful work. We would be so grateful for any amount you can give, but here are some specific ways your contribution could help:
- £10 would pay for one North African woman to attend one of our Togetherness women's day events, as part of our Nisa'a project to teach women about their self-worth and value.
- £66 would pay for two brand new articles on women's issues for our Nisa’a women’s online magazine, including writing, uploading and following up on responses.
- £166 would pay for one facilitator to undertake our training on stopping gender-based violence in refugee camps.
- £450 would pay for one weeks’ salary for a new Gulf believer, so they could join our Gulf team and receive filmmaking and discipleship training, empowering them to reach out to other believers from a Muslim background.
- £1200 would cover the cost of animating an entire episode of the Action Bible, a new comic-book style animation in Arabic which we we’ll be able to use as part of our work with refugees. We can provide you with a copy of the episode you have sponsored once it is completed.
DONATE NOW BY CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD USING THE PAYPAL BUTTON BELOW (You don't need to have a Paypal account to give this way):
If you’d like more information on any of the projects mentioned, please do get in touch or take a look at our Projects pages. You’ll also find more stories and encouragements in the upcoming January edition of Prayer & Praise, which will give more detail on the highlights of 2016 and our plans and projects for 2017.
Finally, all our team here in the UK would like to wish you a very Happy Christmas and a blessed New Year. Thank you so much, as ever, for your continued support. Please continue to pray for our work and our staff in the Middle East.
UK & European Director